Its wooden architecture and red plaster, the layout of the streets adapted to its terrain, its monuments and beautiful natural environment in which is interlocked, make this town a truly special place.
One of the most beautiful villages of Europe
Vídeo de garcizgz
So much so, that is National Monument since 1961, has the Gold Medal for Merit in Fine Arts in 1996 and today is proposed by Unesco to be a World Heritage Site by the beauty and importance of its historical heritage.
The walk through the streets of Albarracín is a real treat, every corner has its charm, but we can also admire several monuments:
- The Defensive Walls. The fourteenth century, show the strategic importance of this place and the effect that the defense has had on the local architecture.
- Salvador Cathedral. The sixteenth century, contains a small museum with Flemish tapestries.
- Julianeta House. A good example of civil construction of Albarracín.
- Walker Tower. Muslim building dating from the tenth century
- Tower of Dona Blanca. Similar to the walker.
- Episcopal Palace. With a pretty baroque façade.
- Castle. In process of restoration since it was in an advanced state of deterioration. Dating from the eleventh century and was alcazar of the Taifa kingdom.
- Town Hall. A beautiful sixteenth-century building with wooden balconies and a corridor above the river.
But the charms of Albarracín are not reduced only to the streets of the old town, its natural environment is impressive. With the Sierra de Albarracín to the north and Universal mountains to the south, this region is brimming with nature. Much it is so, that one of the main attractions of the area is adventure tourism and agro-tourism. Here is one of the companies that makes these activities quercusaventura.com
The first human settlements in the region of Albarracin dated back to the Epipaleolithic , having left numerous examples of post-Paleolithic rock art.
In these representations we can see scenes of hunting, deer, horses, cattle, bulls and archers, all painted in red, black and white. The latter color, the white is unique to this area for that period.