Plan your visit to the Cathedral of Leon: Description, main characteristics, schedules, ticket prices, cultural events, the weather, activities, map.
The Weather in León
The Cathedral of León is one of the great buildings of Gothic style with French influences. It is located in the center of León in the Camino de Santiago. The cathedral is known for simplifying its walls to a minimum to be replaced by colored glass, forming one of the most important collections of medieval stained glass in the world. The Cathedral of Leon is also known as the “Pulchra Leonina“, which means “Beautiful from León“.
[button font_size=”20″ color=”#66cbec” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”” url=”http://culturiplan.com/agenda-cultural-quique-alien/action~posterboard/request_format~html/cat_ids~52/” width=”” target=”_self”]Cultural events in León[/button]
León Cathedral is considered the most French of Spanish Gothic cathedrals
León Cathedral was begun in 1205 on the same site where previously there were a second-century Roman baths, an early tenth century cathedral and a Romanesque cathedral of the eleventh century.
At first the works on hold until 1255 due to problems with the foundation. In 1277 Maestro Enrique died, architect of the cathedral, being replaced by Maestro Juan Perez. In 1302 the temple structure is completed, opening the church to the faithful. Although during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries there were some reforms.
Main features of the León Cathedral
|916(first Cathedral), 1205 (Gothic Cathedral).|
|Maestro Enrique, who had collaborated in the Cathedral of Burgos.|
|Purpose||Catholic worship, dedicated to Santa María de Regla.|
|Refurbishments||1694, 1901, 1966|
|Interesting Facts||The most important collection of medieval stained glass in the world|
The speed of the works in the Cathedral of León attach great unit Gothic architectural style of French influence, this makes her the most French of all Spanish Gothic cathedrals.
Its plant is inspired on the ground of “Cathedral of Reims“, the rebels are inspired by the “Cathedral of Amiens” and “Sainte Chapielle” and in the western porch you can see the influence of the “Cathedral of Chartres“.
Its plant has three naves, outside the cathedral include three facades where one of the finest collections of Gothic sculptures of the peninsula is.
- In the West or Main facade built in the thirteenth century, highlights the central rosette stained glass, plus two gothic towers of 65 and 68 meters each, and their covers being the epitome of Spanish Gothic sculpture as the triple west porch.
- In the southern facade thanks to the reform of the nineteenth century baroque elements were removed and were replaced by Gothic elements highlighting its three portals in the style of French Gothic cathedrals.
- The north facade has remained unchanged since its construction, it is the least visible when being above the cloister, highlight their front porch with a triple Gothic. It also highlights the Apse, the oldest part of the cathedral that was used to perform the worship during the period of construction.
The visit to the Cathedral of León can be performed;
- from October 1 to April 30 from Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 13:30 h. and from 16:00 to 19:00 h. Sundays and holidays from 9:30 to 14:00 h,
- from May 1 to September 30 Monday to Friday from 9:30 to 13:30 h. and from 16:00 to 20:00 h. Saturdays from 9:30 to 12:00 h. and from 14:00 to 18:00 h Sundays and holidays from 09:30 to 13: 00h and 14:00 to 20: 00h.
Ticket Price 5€
(Free for kids under 12)
Address: Plaza Regla, s/n, 24003 León
Coordenadas: 42.5997, -5.56667
More information about the Cathedral of Leon in catedraldeleon.org
Cover image wikimedia.org
[button font_size=”20″ color=”#ff9326″ text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”” url=”http://culturiplan.com/en/cultura/where/central-spain/castilla-leon-en/leon-en” width=”” target=”_self”]Other places to visit in León[/button]
Where to eat in León
Our team of experts guides partners in art history, heritage and ethnography. In Leon we collaborate with Experiencias Ocio Lazo-León , a local company that offers fantastic guided tours on demand from our expanding knowledge in an educational and fun.
Can you suggest something else to see in Leon?
Whether you want to suggest new places to visit in Leon, as if you estimates that we should make changes to this entry, you can contact us at email@example.com