Built between 1300 and 1311, was ordered built by James II, as a royal residence, role it played for several centuries.
The Castle of Bellver of gothic style, is the castle the oldest circular plant of Europe
The castle was converted into a military prison in 1771, being one of its most illustrious prisoners Minister Carlos IV, Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos, prisoner from 1802 to 1808.
The Castle of Bellver had other uses as currency factory in 1821. In 1931 it was acquired by the Municipality of Palma to be used for cultural purposes such as the Museum of History of the city.
It is also used to host the sculpture collection Despuig or as a local where you develop various cultural activities.
Access to Bellver Castle is by the main entrance, access to Bellver Castle is by the main entrance, where will pass the parade ground of circular in shape arcaded by semicircular arches,
In the rooms on the ground floor were staying the soldiers, the service and the stores
On the main floor as we move forward to the first floor we can see on the right, the kitchen.
Continuing on the main floor of the Castle of Bellver
we also see the collection of sculpture Despuig, the information office, the room dedicated to Jovellanos, the throne room, the chapel of San Marcos and stairs to the upper terrace.
From the upper terrace we can access the Homage Tower, which can only be visited by appointment for groups.
Returning to the ground floor of the castle of Bellver is noteworthy that in it will find the Museum of History of the City of Palma.
The museum is divided into 7 rooms for corresponding to different historical periods of the city.
- In the first room we can see the assembly hall and screening room
- In room 2 we can see the exhibition on Prehistory,
- In room 3 we can see the exhibition on the period from the year 123a.C. until the year 902,
- In Room 4 will see the Islamic period that ranges from 902 to 1229,
- In Room 5 we can see the time of the Christian reconquest until the Renaissance, which runs from 1229 until 1576,
- In Room 6 we can see the time that runs from 1575-1902 and
- In Room 7 we can see the period covering from 1902 to 1960.
The visit Bellver Castle can be made every day of the year except January 1st and December 25th will remain closed.
Ticket price: 4€
(2.50 € seniors and € 2 for children)
More information on the link cultura.palma.es
Cover image: es.wikipedia.org
Adress : C/ Camilo José Cela, s/n,
Telephone: 971 735 065