Plan your visit to the Museum of History of Tarragona with Culturiplan®: Description, prices, BEST OFFERS ACCOMMODATION AND ACTIVITIES, the weather, chedules, cultural events.
Lodging in Tarragona, the best offers
Look no further, we offer you the best deals available in real time for Tarragona through BOOKING.COM, the world’s leading accommodation deals.
Looking for the best offers in Tarragona IN THIS MOMENT …
The weather in Tarragona
Things to do in Tarragona and surroundings
There is an endless number of things to do in Tarragona, we have selected for you the most interesting in terms of quality, price and interest. All of them with the GetYourGuide Certified Guarantee.
Looking for the best deals available AT THIS TIME …
Description of the Museum of History of Tarragona
Museum of History of Tarragona has its origins in 1957 with the creation of the City Museum located in the Roman Vault of the Pallol Square. In this museum all types of objects related to the history of Tarragona were displayed, besides of collections that gave it a romantic air.
The History Museum of Tarragona manages several Roman monuments and two buildings of modern times
Vídeo de pateandoespana
The Museum of History of Tarragona is located in the building called the “Casa Castellarnau” which was purchased by the Town Hall in 1954. The aim of the council was to create a visitable space for public , fact that occurred in 1968 with the founding of the “Patronato Municipal de Bellas Artes”.
The Castellarnau House was built in the early fifteenth century and retains different architectural elements from different periods. It was the residence of Emperor Charles I when he was in Tarragona in 1542. It has also been the home of the most influential people of the city until the nineteenth century.
In the eighteenth century the building was acquired by Carles de Castellarnau, taking the house its name. During the time the building was renovated undergoing major changes in its facade and distribution. On the main floor include several rooms with original furniture of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and the Ballroom as emblematic
The main collection of the Museum of History of Tarragona was acquired by the “Patronato Municipal de Bellas Artes”, which would finalize its role in 1979, when the “Corporation” takes over of its duties and of the museum.
During the visit to the museum we find on the ground floor;
- the old kitchen that has been recovered as it was,
- the permanent exhibition of the History Museum of Tarragona with the collection Agramunt i Molas found numerous pieces archaeological and ethnographic
- Quintana’s legacy,
- the fund of the philologist and critic Sánchez Camargo,
- the offices of the museum.
The funds of the Museum of History of Tarragona are divided into three blocks,
- The first block is the Molas i Agramunt fund, acquired by the Town Hall in 1976 and composed of numerous archaeological remains from the prehistory through the Romanization and Middle Ages of Tarragona to the modern age,
- The second block corresponds to the Fund Sanchez Camargo, acquired by the town hall in the sixties to the critical and philologist Sanchez Camargo, where include several works of art from the beginning of Franco until the late sixties,
- and the third block corresponds to the “Legacy Quintana” composed of the donation of documents and objects made by Antoni Quintana Marí in 1996.
The visit to the Museum of History of Tarragona can be done throughout the year except Mondays and the 1st and 6th of January 19 June 24 August 23 September and 25 and 26 December, the museum will be closed .
Price od the entrance 3,15€
(€ 1.60 the reduced entrance , and free for children under 16 years)
(10.55€ the entrance to see all enclosures)
More information about the Museum of History of Tarragona: tarragona.cat
Cover image: creative Commons en el flickr de Álvaro Pérez Vilariño
Anything else to see in Tarragona?
[button font_size=”20″ color=”#ff9326″ text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”” url=”http://culturiplan.com/cultura/donde-vamos/mediterraneo/catalunya/tarragona” width=”” target=”_self”]Other places to visit in Tarragona[/button]
Whether you want to suggest new places to visit in Tarragona, as if you estimate we should make any changes to this entry, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org